Upcoming release

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 09:57:13 UTC 2019

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 16:20:40 -0600
Derek Foreman <derek.foreman.samsung at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's been quite some time since our last weston release, and there's
> been some discussion of getting the next one out in the January to March
> timeframe (this would be the last release to have an autotools build, btw).
>
> Does anyone have objections to an early February freeze and a March
> release?  Anyone with large series near completion?

Hi,

sounds good to me.

I will propose removing the autotools build right after the
release has been completed and the next development cycle begins.

> Also, I'd like to float the idea of removing the fbdev backend for this
> release (or the next).  The bulk of the interesting features target the
> drm backend, and it feels like fbdev can sometimes be a bit of a pain to
> update when changes are required elsewhere.  Any strong opinions either way?

I would be happy to see the fbdev backend go. It's dead tech, and
anything new relying on it is a false start.

However, to be fair, it hasn't been that much of a burden yet, to
me anyway. There have even been an occasional patch or two proposed
from the community.