weston-info as a standalone utility

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 14:38:22 UTC 2020

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 10:32:56 +0200
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A long time ago [1], I suggested that we move weston-info out of the
> Weston source tree because this is a very useful tool which gives
> important information about any Wayland compositor, not just Weston.
>
> The general consensus was it was a good idea, unfortunately other more
> important things happened, people (including me) eventually forgot
> about that and it never actually came to fruition…
>
> But the need remains, I think we should have a compositor agnostic
> tool that gives the general information about the running compositor.
> And we should not need to install Weston for that alone.
>
> So I took the liberty to uproot weston-info, rename it as wayland-info
> and put it on its own repo:
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/ofourdan/wayland-info
>
> As you can see, I took great care to preserve the git history of
> weston-info in the process.
>
> In the meantime, Peter has already submitted patches to wayland-info
> (thanks Peter!) so the tip of wayland-info is different from
> weston-info (basically, we have diverged already).
>
> Eventually, if nobody has objections, we could move that repo to the
> wayland domain…

Hi Olivier,

thanks for doing this, looks good!

+1 for having this under the wayland organization in Gitlab.
+1 for deleting weston-info from Weston repository.

Shall we keep the new repository only for "info" tools, or should
it contain more, like Weston's simple-shm, simple-egl, and a
rewrite of weston-eventdemo that doesn't use toytoolkit?

I would be fine with moving all "simple" clients from Weston
repository to there if that's appropriate.