How Wayland manages the automation/access of input devices and deal with block on them

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 15:58:46 UTC 2022

On Mon, 5 Dec 2022 14:11:46 +0000
"Victor Borghi Gimenez (FIPT)" <victorborghi at ipt.br> wrote:

> What does still Wayland not standarize? Do you say the automation of
> input devices, don't you?

Correct. There is no standard Wayland interface you could use to
programmatically feed input events into a Wayland compositor to be
delivered to clients as if they were real physical input events.

> My aim consists in test UI resources as OS icons for example: Show
> applications, click on any application contained in show applications
> list, type text at the search box, and so on... Generally saying,
> simulate/automate mouse and keyboard events how a user would do (for
> example xdotool developed for X11/Xorg performs this task when you
> pass mousemove, getmouselocation, keydown/keyup as arguments).

Exactly.

> uinput I have heard about, moreover there is a python implementation
> for it called python-uinput https://pypi.org/project/python-uinput/
> which I said here based on uinput kernel module, I was able to
> automate some keyboard keystrokes but I was not able to automate
> keyboard shortcuts and mouse events.

There seems to be ydotool, too, using uinput.

Uinput (the kernel interface) definitely can do everything that
physical input devices can, but using it requires knowing the evdev
protocol well.