[Xcb] XCB enabled libX11 and tray

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Fri Jun 16 21:39:05 PDT 2006

Hi!

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 06:29:21PM +0200, morgoth6 at box43.pl wrote:
> As XCB enabled libX11 appear in the git repository I decide to give a
> try to it. I fetch and compile xcbproto/xproto and after that xcb &&
> libx11 from git repository. I was soprised because after a reboot
> everything works fine.

I compare this work to plumbing: people only notice when it doesn't
work. But I'm rather proud that it does mostly just work now. :-)

> I am using kadu program normaly minimized to try icon (KDE 3.5.3) and
> this always works fine, but after libX11 && XCB emerge stops. I can
> start kadu normaly, tray icon appears normaly, but when I move my
> mouse pointer over it kadu is killed immediatly with following error
> message.
>
> kadu: Fatal IO error: client killed
>
> Anyway this is a bit weird but I found a way to start KADU normaly. I
> need to run it from console then press ctrl+c to quit it (Kadu opens
> it's window and close it) Now I can run it normaly without any
> problems. Also when I set it to start not minimized it seems to work
> fine.

This is certainly odd. I don't know if I'll be able to find the bug
before I leave, but I can at least ask some questions. :-)

Can you run kadu (or kicker) under GDB, set a breakpoint in _XIOError,
and get a backtrace?

Can you reproduce the bug while capturing X packets with Ethereal? Also
capture both invocations of kadu that cause it to work. To do this you
have to force the application and X server to use TCP, which may require
getting kdm to quit passing '-nolisten tcp' to your X server. Then point
Ethereal at your lo interface and run:
	DISPLAY=localhost$DISPLAY kadu
It'd be best if you could attach the resulting packet dump to your
Bugzilla entry (which I don't see yet, so if it's there let me know).

What platform is this on? I gather it's a Gentoo Linux install since you
mention 'emerge'; what CPU architecture is it? This kind of error has
been caused in the past by us not handling error returns from select,
read, or write correctly. I think we've fixed all those cases and the
way you reproduce this problem suggests that isn't the cause, but...

By the way, Bart is just a little bit wrong. This bug should be filed in
the xorg product, under Lib/Xlib. Fill in the "Assign To:" field with my
e-mail address, jamey at minilop.net.

Thanks for trying XCB! I hope we can get your bug tracked down soon.
--Jamey