[Xcb] Re: [Xcb-commit] Branch 'xspec' - xcb-proto

John Davidorff Pell jpell.lists at mac.com
Thu Mar 16 21:30:40 PST 2006

Hi!

I just want to say that you, Alp, are totally on the correct track
and renaming something like that is the Right Way™ IMHO.

I'm not sure why everyone has jumped about this. As you noted in a
previous e-mail, "onoff" (the string) /never/ crosses the wire, so
renaming it has Not One Thing At All In The World To Do With The X
Wire Protocol™. It will only ever be read by a developer. A
difference in capitalization will, likely, not even be noticed. A
difference between "onoff" and "enabled" will only make the developer
prefer your documentation over another. That, it seems, is a good thing!

On the other hand, if XCB wants to keep its existing, stable,
released API... wait, there hasn't been a release. Oh, so there's no
problem then? :-)

Just my $0.02, feel free to ignore me.

JP