[Xcb] Re: [Xcb-commit] Branch 'xspec' - xcb-proto

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Thu Mar 16 22:58:54 PST 2006

The only issue is that we'd like the names in XCB to reflect
the names in some well-recognized and complete standards
document.  Otherwise we have to make up and document our own
names for everything, which is a royal pain, or risk
confusion about what naming scheme applies for each name in
the X language bindings.

Once Alp's document has progressed to the point where it can
be treated as such a standard, we'll be quite pleased to
move to his assuredly more rational names.  In the meantime,
I think the Xorg docs provide the only accepted naming
standard we have.  (I agree that the Xlib headers are not a
good choice here, although we may have used them sometimes
when we shouldn't have.)

Let me be 100% clear---I think the task Alp has volunteered
for is a truly heroic one, and I wish him every success.
Rationalizing this documentation has been needed for a
really long time.

Hope that clarifies the situation a bit.

	Bart