[Xcb] Release package content

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Fri Dec 12 16:33:35 PST 2008

In message <20081212101745.GE20378 at abydos.adm.naquadah.org> you wrote:
> At 1229027550 time_t, Barton C Massey wrote:
> > In case someone without python wants to compile XCB?  Or am
> > I missing something here?
>
> AFAICT, autostuff checks for python presence.
>
> And if your statement is true, then we should not fails if xcb-proto is
> not present neither.

I'd like to see both python and xcb-proto be optional for
building XCB, at least from tarballs.  Might need a
--without-proto flag to configure or something.

> I think there's something illogical in the current process, but I don't
> know what and what was the aim at the beginning: furnished pre-built C
> files or generate them each time with xcb-proto. :-)
>
> I'll assume option 2, but YMMV, that's why I ask.

My opinion: The preferred path for building XCB is to build
it up from the protocol description using python.  For those
whose environment is so borken that they can barely compile
C code, much less run esoteric scripting languages that read
XML files, we provide in the tarballs pre-generated C files
in the hopes that they can still usefully proceed.

This second path will require some care by the release
managers, and a bit of fiddling with the config.  If folks
object to this extra work, I guess I'm good with that...

    Bart