[Xcb] About next release of xcb/util

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Tue Mar 23 08:49:16 PDT 2010

In message <sa3y6hjnxzb.fsf at cigue.easter-eggs.fr> you wrote:
> Barton C Massey <bart at cs.pdx.edu> writes:
> > Makes sense, I guess.  I guess I would suggest splitting
> > into
> >
> >   xcb-util: the stuff in aux and probably atom and probably event
>
> I wonder if things in aux should not be dropped. I never used them, and
> there's just crap that copy Xlib bad protocol hiding.
> The code is interesting as documentation, specially for people comming
> from Xlib, but I don't think it's code that should ever be used.

Huh?  The image library uses it quite a bit. What's the win
in reimplementing things like the visual searches?  The
stuff that auto-creates valueparam structs also seems like a
win for normal use?

> >   xcb-util-image: the image library
> >   xcb-util-wm: the stuff in icccm and wm
>
> xcb-util-wm has been removed.
> So we should talk about xcb-util-icccm.

Either way; sorry, I guess I hadn't pulled in a while.

> > I'm not sure what to do with the keysyms stuff.  It should
> > maybe be its own package, or maybe be in util.
>
> It's rather sure that keysyms will grow in the near feature, specially
> because Arnaud is working on that AFAIK.

Indeed.  The question is whether it makes more sense to
think of it as core functionality that almost everyone will
want, or as something that only some people will use.  I
don't know the answer to this.

    Bart