Flatpak is a Red Hat product?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 06:46:03 UTC 2016

On mån, 2016-08-08 at 02:37 +0000, Charles Johnson wrote:
> I see no comparison, if a NASA employee working on a project in their
> spare time, this project does not belongs to NASA:
>
> Flatpak was strongly supported by the GNOME project, but I see around
> saying belonging to GNOME now that it is independent (still a
> sponsor). Snap is a project of Canonical in every way as it is not
> Flatpak of Red Hat, so catches my attention.

The word "Product" has all sort of connotations around being something
"customers" buy, which doesn't fit well with what Flatpak is. However,
Redhat is sponsoring my work on Flatpak in the sense of letting me work
on it (i.e. not in my spare time) and paying my salary. However, other
companies (and individual people too) are working on flatpak, so its
not Redhat *only*.

Its also not the a "Red Hat Product" in the sense that it works only
with redhat distros. We try very hard to be distro-agnostic. In fact,
that is one of the major reasons for flatpak to exist.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's an obese Jewish hairdresser in a wheelchair. She's a supernatural
thirtysomething mechanic who dreams of becoming Elvis. They fight crime!