Flathub, initial proposal

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Aug 31 09:46:39 UTC 2016

On ons, 2016-08-31 at 10:39 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
> Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
> >

> > Flatpak and the surrounding software projects
> > (ostree/gnome-software/appstream/etc) are now in a pretty good
> > state. We need to work on the portal implementation and port
> > applications to that to make the sandboxing aspects work, but for
> > the
> > pure distribution usecase things mostly work.
> >
> > However, there are two big missing pieces in the full flatpak
> > story:
>
> This all sounds fantastic. From a design perspective I think the
> interesting question is how to approach it in an evolutionary manner,
> and still come up with something that feels and functions as a single
> whole at the end.

I think its important to have a clear idea of how the full thing should
look/work, and then decide on what is the minimal viable product
subset. I kind of did that in my mail, but obviously on a higher level
than a more fleshed out design.

> Perhaps it would be useful to have a meeting or a call to go through
> it in a bit of detail, with a view to coming up with some initial
> designs for how the front-end should look?

Sounds good, although we need to figure out who wants to work on this
first.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a short-sighted one-eyed gangster possessed of the uncanny powers of
an insect. She's a beautiful tomboy nun from out of town. They fight
crime!