Portals packages for the PPA

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Sep 28 09:20:16 UTC 2016

On ons, 2016-09-28 at 13:28 +1000, Michael Gratton wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com>
>
> wrote:
> >
> > It would be great is someone could take over the PPA and maintain
> > that.
> > I'm definately not a great at ubuntu packaging...
> >
> > Unfortunately the current PPA is tied to my account and my
> > personal
> > GPG
> > key. Is there a way to have a shared PPA and to move the current
> > users
> > there?
> I don't think a PPA can be moved, since I'm pretty sure they can't
> have
> their URL changed, but you can register a team, then add PPAs to it,
> and have multiple people with upload permission for it. Team rego is
> here: <https://launchpad.net/people/+newteam>
>
> Note that this means users would need to change PPAs and key
> associated
> with it. Again AFAIK, but I believe the uploader's key is used to
> only
> ensure they built the source package, while each PPA has its own
> key,
> which is used for signing the binaries.
>
> I'd be happy to help out.

So, it seems there is no great way to migrate a PPA like this:
 http://askubuntu.com/questions/207215/redirecting-packages-when-migrating-ppas

Current status wrt debian/ubuntu packages is that debian testing and
unstable have 0.6.11 and it gets updates quickly, also there is a
jessie-backports version of it which can soon replace the debian repo I
made. Ubuntu has flatpak starting from 16.10 and newer.

This means that (soon) the only thing we need to maintain is the 16.04
PPA, which essentially is a trivial rebuild of the debian package, but
with the system bwrap dropped in favour of the built-in one.

So, to migrate the PPA at this point seems a bit too painful. However,
I'd love some help doing and testing the package backports anyway.
Maybe we can make a github fork of simons debian package, then we can
do shared work there, but I submit the final builds to the PPA. How
does that sound?

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a bookish voodoo senator with nothing left to lose. She's a foxy
antique-collecting angel with only herself to blame. They fight crime!