Basedir Specification migration path

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Fri Aug 29 16:43:31 EEST 2003

Waldo Bastian wrote:
> There is no specification that I am aware of that specifies where applications
> should store their configuration files and that is based on the basedir spec.

I'm sorry - I think we must be talking at cross purposes.  I'm certainly
very confused by your response. ;-)

I'm referring to the "XDG Basedir Specification" itself (ie,
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/basedir-spec/), not to some
specification based on it.

This specification introduces itself by saying "This specification
defines where these files should be looked for by defining one or more
base directories relative to which files should be located.", and
defines the $XDG_CONFIG_HOME and $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS variables, and their
default values, which describe where applications should store their
configuration files.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I'm talking about the user-specific
installation files created at run-time, not about the location that an
application installs files at installation time.)

My suggestion is simply to add a well defined means for application
authors to smoothly migrate to using the Basedir specification without
them being required to break their application for existing users.  It
also provides a single switch that packagers and distributions could
flip to move all applications to the new specification at a suitable point.

> I think what is needed first is a specification that explains how applications
> should store application specific configuration files based on the basedir
> spec. A migration path could then be part of that specification.

I don't see why we need to describe the file format used by applications
that follow the basedir specification - and I certainly don't see why we
need to have such a specification before we can define a migration path
to the specification for existing applications.

(It might be useful to add a recommendation to the basedir specification
that applications should store their configuration data in a
subdirectiory of the same name as the application, to avoid conficts,
but this is a separate issue, orthogonal to defining a migration path to
the specification.)

I hope I'm making sense here.  I'm still rather confused.
Richard