smproxy and gnome-smproxy break the XSMP

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Jul 31 18:00:16 EEST 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 03:25:23PM +0200, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> 1. Remove smproxy from XFree and gnome-smproxy from GNOME with
> the hope that all alive applications which use the old sm protocol
> will switch to the new one. Probably a bad solution ...? By the
> way it seems that KDE does not have and do not run by default a
> sm proxy.

I agree with Owen that this is right, the smproxy stuff is just a bad
idea.

I think KDE does have some "try to manage non-SM apps" code also, I
don't remember the details though. Someone was claiming that KDE
successfully restarts netscape/mozilla for example.

My memory is that I tried to find the code that did this and didn't
succeed. Anyway, so I don't know whether it would have the same issue
or not.

Havoc