Proposal: System Tools Backends (From gnome-system-tools)

Carlos Garnacho carlosg at gnome.org
Fri Dec 10 16:10:33 EET 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 21:11 +0800, James Su wrote:
> Hi,
>   IMO, the current functions supported by system-tools-backends are far
> from enough for daily usage. And I don't know if the API is strong

Think on the backends as a really good start. The backends are based on
a good concept, and as a proof they already support quite usual tasks in
a pretty common way across the wider number of distros/OS than any other
configuration tools can offer.

With the time new features will be added, but I don't think that this
should stop the backends from being in fdo, as they are *already* a
thing that's used in apps from several desktops

> enough to support many other kind of tasks, such as configurations of
> X11, network services, hardware setup (IrDA, bluetooth, printer,
> scanner, TV card, sound card etc.), partition, power management,
> firewall, etc.? Besides these, does system-tools-backend support remote
> administration protocol, such as CIM etc.?

The backends are independent of the communication layer, you can
communicate with them through a pipe, ssh, command line, or even put a
layer on top of the backends that implements any protocol.

	Carlos