Proposal: cache directory tagging convention

Bryan Ford baford at mit.edu
Tue Jul 20 18:04:02 EEST 2004

Hi!  I've been referred to this list as the most appropriate place to discuss
an idea I've recently written up and posted here:

	http://www.brynosaurus.com/cachedir/

The short version: Many applications, especially web browsers but also others,
create and maintain cache directories of various kinds, often buried
somewhere in users' home directories, in which they store automatically
regenerable content that is useful for performance but has little or no
archival value.  I propose a simple convention by which applications could
consistently tag their cache directories so that backup, archival, and data
management software can easily (if so configured) recognize and auto-exclude
them from backups and such.  In particular such a convention could
substantially reduce unnecessary backup storage and/or network bandwidth
consumption caused by backing up users' web caches, which tend to be sizeable
and under constant churn (thus defeating incremental backup mechanisms), yet
semantically useless.

While very short and simple in its current preliminary version, the proposal
is written with the possibility in mind of allowing future extensions leading
to the possibility of providing richer systemwide controls over application
cache storage.  I would greatly appreciate your ideas and feedback.

Thanks!
Bryan