deleting thumbnails

Jens Finke jens at triq.net
Fri Oct 8 10:47:29 EEST 2004

Hi Sven,

Sven Neumann wrote:
> I am not sure if I just overlooked something in the spec or this case
> is just not handled there. If an application updates a thumbnail
> (either because the existing one was outdated or because the user
> explicitely asked for it), then it will create the thumbnail at the
> user-configured thumbnail size. Now if the existing thumbnail is of
> the other size, should it delete that thumbnail or just create a new
> one in the other directory? Then two thumbnails for the same image
> would exist. What do you think?

IMO both thumbnails are valid. You may use the thumb of "the other size" to
create one of the right size. Or you use the original image for this. But in the
end, none of the thumbnails are invalid only in different sizes. This is exactly
the purpose of the spec. The reason for the different size directories were that
some programs use very large previews and other smaller ones. To prevent
downscaling thumbs for smaller-previews every time these (to some extent
arbitrary) sizes and their directories have been choosen.

Thumbnails should be deleted only if they are outdated or the original image has
been disapeared.

Regards,

   Jens