fd.o HIG

nf nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Mon Oct 25 06:57:35 EEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 21:06, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>

> > I've said it before, and I'll say it again - this is
> > a waste of time.
> > The differences between KDE and GNOME are huge.
> > What about other
> > desktop environments, like ROX?  GNUStep?  Are you
> > going to include the
> > Aqua HIG and Windows Style Guidelines as well?
>

> No. I am not going to include rox or gnustep. we arent
> targetting stuff for windows or mac users here.
>
> The focus is primarily on kde and gnome. However this
> doesnt mean others dont count If interested you could
> point out whether they have any documented set of
> guidelines.I believe we could create a basic set of
> guidelines thats applicable to everyone though. How
> could that would be depends on an interest to have a
> consistent interface across different toolkits.
>
> If you are happy with the current situation you may
> continue to believe its a waste of time.

I think that standardizing parts of the user-interface is very important
- at least file-management (the file-chooser) should look and behave
similar everywhere. But that won't work without a common VFS-layer in
the back-end - not only integrating KDE and GNOME applications - but
also OpenOffice.org. To me a VFS only makes sense when it's used by
everyone. Otherwise people are better off with old fashioned tools like
gftp and smbmount, because that's less confusing :-(.