pkg-config2

Ian Reinhart Geiser ian at geiseri.com
Sun Jan 23 20:21:58 EET 2005

On Saturday 22 January 2005 22:53, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> On Saturday 22 January 2005 10:46 pm, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > >
> > > Well currently there is duplication in applications like kde-config
> >
> > I strongly believe that kde-config should not exist, and that it should
> > be a function of pkg-config.
>
> Probably because you don't know what it does. Actually, there is no overlap
> in functionality.
kde-config
	-provides library paths
	-provides include paths
	-doesn't include linker args
	-doesn't include compiler args
	-provides local and global paths per configuration
pkg-conf
	-provides full linker arguments libraries and paths
	-provides full cflags arguments and paths
	-doesn't provide local or global paths per configuration

As you can see there is some overlap, but there are also requirements that
make absolutely no sense for pkg-conf, and that we would be insane to remove
from kde-config.

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser

--
==========+<KWeather for KDE 3.2>+=+<http://www.kde.org>+===
 Report for Philadelphia, Northeast Philadelphia Airport