applications-merged xml example

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Wed Jan 26 20:20:18 EET 2005

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 15:42, detlef oertel wrote:
> I have problems to build a well formed and functional xml file for the
> applications-merged directory.
> The Desktop Menu Specification say in:
> C. How to add your application to the menus
> "Install an XML menu file to sysconfdir/desktop/menus/applications-merged/
> to add any submenus, if your desktop entries aren't already included in
> some common categories."
>
> Is here anybody who can help me over the first step with an example file ?

Yes, see the attached message.

> And one second question: will be there a standard for the tasks:
> - putting a .desktop file to the Desktop
> - putting a .desktop file to Autostart?

Let's hope so. At the moment I can only tell you how to do it in KDE. If you
run as normal user you can do so by using
	$(kde-config --userpath desktop)
resp.
	$(kde-config --userpath autostart)

If you run as root and want to install for all users on the system you can
use:
	$(kde-config --expandvars --install data)/kdesktop/Desktop
resp.
	$(kde-config --expandvars --install data)/../autostart

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download