desktop vfs wiki page

Jeffrey Vaughan vaughan2 at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Mar 3 21:40:30 EET 2005

Sean Middleditch wrote:
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dvfs

Looks great, but I have one quibble:

 From the wiki:

It is noted that desktop apps often do access files besides the user's
documents. Your word processor might save configuration files, for
example, or a recently-used files list, and so on. The Desktop VFS is
not designed for these files. Those files are typically stored in the
user's home folder in a dot-directory. That is a local file system.
Applications can, and absolutely should, use the system's native file
API (POSIX) for these files.

I disagree with this understand this.  It would be hella cool for
applications to store settings using D-VFS.  For example, I would really
like to have my firefox bookmarks on a share of some sort that can i can
use from whatever host I want.  I think that chrome should be handled
(optionally) the same way. If a user wants her toolbar and bookmarks to
be consistent on different machines, she should absolutely be able to
specify a that bookmarks live on http://foo/... and that her chrome
settings are at smb://bar/...

However if the user doesn't want settings shared, she can always store
their configuration files at file://~/...

--Jeff