thumbnail specification URI escaping

Xavi Gratal xgrtl at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 15 12:11:40 EET 2005

I don't even know if this is the right list to send this message, but I have
to try!
I am trying to implement the thumbnail specification and I found a major
problem: gnome and KDE don't apparently agree on whether to use the %20 (and
so on) escaping for URIs. This is not a problem except for calculating the
hash, because they obviously lead to other hashes
gnome seems to escape all spaces to %20, so file:///home/my document becomes
file:///home/my%20document and this is the string which is hashed, while KDE
doesn't seem to do it. I think the specification should state what should be
done, and also say which characters should be escaped and which not, and
whether to use %2f or %2F and other details. My opinion is that either we
follow exactly the RFC, which says that every not-unreserved character
should be escaped, which includes %20 and many more, or we decide not to
escape anything and use UTF8 for encoding before calculating the hash, as it
is not necessary to escape because the string is only used internally.
Any idea?