Remove Tango-artists mailinglist from FreeDesktop.org

seventh guardian seventhguardian at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 15:06:27 PST 2005

> I get the feeling that people are on board to support the naming spec.
> Is it bad to have an implementation out there? Surely no one is
> suggesting that a mailing list for artists interested in learning the
> spec and possibly creating nice themes independently is a bad thing?
> Would it make a difference if it were called
> freedesktop-icon-naming-spec-artists at fd.o?

The problem here isn't about Tango. I think it's good for them to use
the specs, and it is good that others follow. It's even good if the
dm's enforce the naming spec.

The problem here is that some people want an "unified icon theme".
That's the problem, being it Tango or any other. Tango was (kind of)
atacked because freedesktop hosts it. As I said, I don't want to take
part in that discussion, I see no reason for Tango to be hosted on
freedesktop, but I also don't see a reason why not.

What I'm seeing here is people wanting to make Tango the freedesktop
official theme, and I'm against that for many reasons. One of them is
that a theme is not code, it's something subjective and should not be
made standard. (no, I don't like the "mtv culture" :P ) Freedesktop is
taking a dangerous path: when everything is standard there's no
individuality. So let's focus on what is useful to be standard and
just forget what's not. Look'n'feel shouldn't be standard.

Let's pose an example: I shouldn't be forced to use a dm with a
taskbar. What if I don't want one? Yes, there should be a standard for
how a taskbar works on the API-level, allowing several apps to know
how to use it. But I should never be forced to use one. In the Windows
world I'm forced to have one, but that's not linux. I currently don't
use a taskbar, and I shouldn't be forced to just because "they just
want to use their apps and get work done".

Well, as you may guess, an icon theme is even more personal, so it
shouldn't be imposed. There should be no official theme as much as
there should be no official DM.

PS: Please note that i'm not against themes that look the same for
both qt/gtk. That can indeed be useful. But it's the job of the
theme-maker, if he wants to, to provide the same look'n'feel for the
alternative widget.