Cluster Support on Desktops

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM
Tue Nov 29 12:01:02 PST 2005

   I do this all the time, but at a very small scale: my
SPARC can't run x86 Windows income-tax programs, so the
tax.desktop file for my tax program points to a ssh
script that connects to a specific hostname (it
could be called taxman (;-)) and runs the tax
program that's inside Win4Lin.  X then redirects the
screen back to the machine where I'm sitting.

   The mime .desktop file for tax file could easily reference
the proper executable .desktop file. And away we go.

   If my DNS contained a list of addresses for the name taxman,
and I was doing load-balancing or dns-based redirection, I
could choose from one of any number of tax servers.

--dave

Joe Baker wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to manage/integrate several Unix style systems
> together to present ltsp (X windows thin client) users with a unified
> desktop.
>
> The KDE Desktop provides menus items which point to applications which
> reside on different servers in the cluster.
>
> Mime type handling needs to come from a shared, list of mime type handlers.
>
> So one machine's tasks can center around running a web browser for
> hundreds of users, while another machine focuses on providing office
> suite services.
>
> This central MIME direction would allow custom builds of applications to
> be built and tested on separate (or virtual servers).
>
> Can anyone point me to resources that come close to this functionality?
>
> Thanks!
> -Joe Baker

David Collier-Brown,      | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto | some people and astonish the rest
davecb at canada.sun.com     |                      -- Mark Twain
(416) 263-5733 (x65733)   |