freedesktop.org and accelerated desktop standards

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Wed Dec 6 01:52:59 EET 2006

Dnia 05-12-2006, wto o godzinie 21:27 -0200, Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues
Diógenes napisał(a):
> I don't say that the CWM couldn't implement the gnome-mag API. Doing
> this make the magnifier inflexible and less portable. If the user would
> like to experiment with others window managers he will not be able to
> use a magnifier if the window manager is also a CWM.
>
> This way, I think that we have two option:
>
> 1. We can define a plugin architecture. Maybe the best way to do this is
> implement the gnome-mag API in beryl or compiz, because they already
> have plugin support, and leave to the time say if this was a good
> decision.

Or you can just create a libmagnifier library that iseasily pluggable to
any compositing manager. To create a usable WM for tomorrow one has to
integrate both composition and window management into one app (this was
discussed since the idea of Xgl arised).

> 2. Have a way to change between the window manager and the magnifier to
> be a composite manager.

Not that easy - even Metacity is likely to become a compositing manager
in the next release. The code is already there just a bit buggy. If you
require each and every WM to have separate code paths for internal
composition and no composition (external compositor is pretty much
useless for the tasks WMs perform) you will end up ingored by the
majority of developers and there will be no magnification at all.

> If we have option 2 availabe the magnifier will be able to run
> everywhere, but probably with some loose of functionality, since
> composite management give us a great power to control what the user see,
> and new HCI (Human Computer Interaction) will evolve and could benefit
> visually impaired people too.

Or the magnifier will run nowhere if Beryl, Metacity and Kwin decide
they need internal composition.

> I really appreciate to know if now you see a problem.

Yes, I see a problem with the way you see things, there are two sides to
this medal :)

--
Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org>
PLD Linux