freedesktop.org and accelerated desktop standards

Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues Diógenes cerdiogenes at yahoo.com.br
Wed Dec 6 21:37:41 EET 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 00:52 +0100, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> Dnia 05-12-2006, wto o godzinie 21:27 -0200, Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues
> Diógenes napisał(a):
> > I don't say that the CWM couldn't implement the gnome-mag API. Doing
> > this make the magnifier inflexible and less portable. If the user would
> > like to experiment with others window managers he will not be able to
> > use a magnifier if the window manager is also a CWM.
> >
> > This way, I think that we have two option:
> >
> > 1. We can define a plugin architecture. Maybe the best way to do this is
> > implement the gnome-mag API in beryl or compiz, because they already
> > have plugin support, and leave to the time say if this was a good
> > decision.
>
> Or you can just create a libmagnifier library that iseasily pluggable to
> any compositing manager. To create a usable WM for tomorrow one has to
> integrate both composition and window management into one app (this was
> discussed since the idea of Xgl arised).

Yes, I never oppose the fact that WM an CM must merge, and I also agree
that the easiest path is a plugin architecture to support magnification
is this enviroment.

The problem IMO is that if we can't run the magnifier in environments
that doesn't support the plugin architecture implemented by Beryl/Compiz
(from the little that I saw, they appear to be the same) we will be
putting a burden to people that need accessibility support in
experimenting with new enviroments.

Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues Diógenes <cerdiogenes at yahoo.com.br>