Desktop Theme Spec

Joe Mason joe at notcharles.ca
Mon Apr 21 05:57:21 PDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 8:13 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday 21 April 2008, Toma wrote:
>  > It would be nice if KDE and Gnome camps could start using Edje, but
>
>  i don't think it will ever be an exclusive usage thing, but i know of one
>  fledgling effort that has reasonably solid backing to create a qt4-edje
>  support bridge. not something that solves this particular issue today, but
>  hopefully within the year we may see the fruits of this start to emerge.
>  which would be cool =)

I really think a generic bridge with pluggable frontends and backends
would be a better effort - why solve the specific case when we can
solve the general?

I took a look at metatheme last night, and apart from being dead (last
update in 2005) it's not a usable base as-is - its architecture is
designed strictly for creating themes using the Metatheme API, so it
uses opaque handles everywhere with no way to get at the underlying
resource.  Even text is an opaque blob.  Forking it and unwrapping the
objects to expose some of the inner layers might be a good starting
point instead of having to start from scratch, though.

Joe