Summary of the fdo disussion at GCDS

Jeremy jeremy at scitools.com
Thu Jul 9 07:11:11 PDT 2009

On Jul 9, 2009, at 4:44 AM, "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 09 July 2009, David Faure wrote:
>> So that a given project has a single voice, to avoid the situation
>> where
>> several people from a given project have contradictory opinions and
>> then
>
> is that seriously an issue? if so, the projects involved have fatal
> problems
> and need to revisit themselves before even thinking cooperating with
> other
> projects.
>
> but let's assume that it is an issue as a worst-case scenario.
> there's a
> reason why source code repositories have reversion controls. it's
> not hard.
>
> look at kde with it's WIDE open commit policies. how often have we
> had to
> check abuse of that? twice that i can remember. in 10 years.
>
> let's not make this more complicated with possible-but-not-realistic
> issues.

I agree with Aaron. I don't think this is a realistic concern. Think
of applying "with many eyes all bugs are shallow" to spec creation. I
also immagine if two people in say kde for example disagree about a
spec they will discuss it between themselves before taking a public
stance on it. Even politicians understand this and they are the scum
of the earth ;)

Jeremy whiting