[desktop entry spec] new FullName key

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Fri Jul 24 13:58:39 PDT 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009 13:35:27 Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 20:00 -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 July 2009, Michael Pyne wrote:
> > > hearing someone from a i18n who has actually had a problem completing
> > > the translation because the current means available are insufficient.
>
> The i18n issues aren't in translating the text. It's that if you combine
> the two items on a single line, it may not appear to be correct in all
> languages. There's a lot you need to consider beyond "is it translated?"

Right.  That's exactly my point actually.  I'm en_US and therefore more or
less unqualified to posit issues that exist with what we've got.  Right now we
have two translatable strings which can be displayed basically however the
translators would need.  In the case of KDE, if the 8 or so options we have
are not sufficient we just need to be told.

The concern here is whether or not having the two separate tokens is alright,
or whether proper translation dictates that the tokens be merged in some way
that is impossible or very hard to handle in code, kind of how "word" +
"word"s (2 tokens) mostly works in English to pluralize but requires more
context in other languages to properly pluralize.  That's the only instance
where I could see FullName being useful, everything else sounds like either
code fixes or .desktop fixes.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne