git repository for specs: one more attempt

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Jun 8 10:11:54 PDT 2009

Hey,

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 10:17:43 -0600
"Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> however, it only has value if people use it, to state the absolutely
> obvious. i stopped pushing this forward shortly after my last attempt
> to get it going due to the complete lack of interest shown by people
> on this list. i got more feedback and patches (!) from people who
> have little or nothing to do with xdg@ than from people on it (which
> wasn't hard: your contribution was precisely zero)
>
> i'm happy to add anyone to the "xdg-specs" team on gitorious who has
> a spec they need / want to edit, and we can also do the traditional
> dvcs "everyone has their own repo and makes merge requests" method.
> (it's not either/or)
>
> if there are suggestions on how to make the contents of the
> repository better, please share your thoughts and we can turn them
> into action together. the last time we actually managed to discuss
> this, it resulted in a number of good improvements.
>

> this email does represent my last attempt to get this going.

first of all, I'd also like to see a repository like this for all the
fd.o specifications. But why not host it on git.freedesktop.org? Are
the admins not responsive enough? Also, I see little point in a
repository that doesn't contain *all* the specifications.

Personally, I'd be interested in maintaining the thumbnailer
specification together with Philip Van Hoof who originally wrote it.
We'd like to see that become an fd.o specification (we have two
reference implementations, hildon-thumbnail and tumbler, the latter
being worked on). But that's another topic.

Overall a +0.75 from me ;)

  - Jannis