git repository for specs: one more attempt

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jun 8 10:30:57 PDT 2009

On Monday 08 June 2009, Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> first of all, I'd also like to see a repository like this for all the
> fd.o specifications. But why not host it on git.freedesktop.org? Are
> the admins not responsive enough?

i'd be happy to see this on git.fd.o

but i didn't feel like wading through the process of getting that going when
it takes 5 minutes to set up an account, a project and a team with commit
rights on gitorious.

for something that is/was an experiment, i wanted to keep the time investment
low and not let the time availability of fd.o sys admins become another
blocker. i also would like to make it really, really easy for me (and others)
to be able to add contributors to it without waiting on others.

indeed, this is all another way of saying "it's too hard to get involved with
fd.o in a proper fashion", but that's a different issue. one i really don't
feel like taking on right now. :)

> Also, I see little point in a
> repository that doesn't contain *all* the specifications.

agreed; the idea is to put them _all_ in there. just didn't want to go through
all that effort if we wanted to do it a bit differently (which would mean
changing every spec already put into the repo; something that happened already
while gathering feedback) or if it was just outright rejected.

> Personally, I'd be interested in maintaining the thumbnailer
> specification together with Philip Van Hoof who originally wrote it.

that'd be great. if you have a gitorious.org account, i'd be happy to add you
to the xdg-specs team and you could have a go at adding the thumbnailer spec
to the repository.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se