Additional devices in icon-naming-spec

Côme BERNIGAUD come.bernigaud at opensides.be
Mon Apr 14 04:47:53 PDT 2014

Yes, please step forward and update this spec which has not been updated
since 2006 and lacks a lot of stuff.
I had great troubles with icons not having consistent names across
themes (just look at Tango and Oxygen, both does not use the same
conventions for things which are not defined in icon-naming-spec).

I think you don’t need the device- prefix as these icons will be in the
devices category.

You may wanna use the fallback system and rename headset to
headphone-headset, falling back to headphone if this one is not there.
 From icon-naming-spec: «The specific media type icons should be named
in the form, <primary function>-<specific format>. Some examples are
“media-optical”, “media-optical-bd” and “media-optical-dvd”.», so I
guess it’s a good thing to reuse this dash generic prefix system.
This is also why you should avoid using dashes in "ebook-reader" and
"fax-machine", unless you expect more generic ones called fax and ebook.
Maybe some devices should have a common prefix, I’m thinking for
instance of modem and router. Fax may also be printer-fax, not sure.
Should tablet be pda-tablet or phone-tablet? multimedia-tablet?
computer-tablet might be the more accurate.
headphone and headset should definitely have an audio- prefix.
laptop should be computer-laptop.

Looking forward to reading your patch.

Côme