Separate X Screens - possible on Intel Integrated HD Graphics?

Boudhayan Gupta bgupta at kde.org
Sat Jan 16 10:31:49 PST 2016

Hi Ken and all,

> I appreciate all of the input folks are providing. However, I asked the
> simple question if separate X screens could be configured on Intel
> integrated graphics.  The discussion seems to have degenerated into "you
> don't want to do" what I wish to do and "you should try something else."

There are legitimate use cases for this. I suspect Ken wants to do
something like running a completely different X session on a second
monitor.

What you're looking for is Zaphod mode. There *is* a configuration
option for this, but I have no idea whether the code paths are bug
free or even implemented.

An example for using Zaphod mode with nouveau is here at
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/MultiMonitorDesktop/. The same
configuration tweaked for the intel driver should work.

-- Boudhayan