Separate X Screens - possible on Intel Integrated HD Graphics?

Ken Taylor di604admin at embarqmail.com
Sat Jan 16 12:32:49 PST 2016

On 01/16/2016 01:31 PM, Boudhayan Gupta wrote:
> Hi Ken and all,
>
>> I appreciate all of the input folks are providing. However, I asked the
>> simple question if separate X screens could be configured on Intel
>> integrated graphics.  The discussion seems to have degenerated into "you
>> don't want to do" what I wish to do and "you should try something else."
> There are legitimate use cases for this. I suspect Ken wants to do
> something like running a completely different X session on a second
> monitor.
>
> What you're looking for is Zaphod mode. There *is* a configuration
> option for this, but I have no idea whether the code paths are bug
> free or even implemented.
>
> An example for using Zaphod mode with nouveau is here at
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/MultiMonitorDesktop/. The same
> configuration tweaked for the intel driver should work.
>
> -- Boudhayan

Thanks Boudhayan,

I had come across Zaphod a few times but had not yet made sense of it.
The example you point to may give me a starting point.  The only
parameters I cannot figure out are the "Actual connector" values.  I
have the possibilities:

DP-1
DP-2
HDMI-A-1
HDMI-A-2

I have a monitor plugged into the DisplayPort connection and one into
the HDMI connection. I suppose I could guess that they are both #1.  I
will try that and see if it lets the smoke out :-)

Ken