Help System Specification: Rationale of help path

notebook notebook22312 at gmail.com
Sat May 8 22:41:00 UTC 2021

Hello,

Summary
========
I'd like to know why help files are sorted by language first and then by application name, instead of the other way around.
// I hope this is the right place

Details
=======
In [1] is specified, that help files are found under `$XDG_DATA_DIRS/help/$lang/$path/`. That is, help files are "sorted" by language first, and then by application name.
   Example:
     /usr/share/help/en/gedit
     /usr/share/help/en/firefox
     /usr/share/help/de/gedit

I personally see more benefit in "sorted" by application name first, and language second.
   Example:
     /usr/share/help/gedit/en
     /usr/share/help/gedit/de
     /usr/share/help/firefox/en

Apart from easier manual handling, I would say this ordering helps keeping applications apart from each other, versus, the current spec looks like it turn the whole system into a big soup.