support for HW_SKIP_CONSOLE breaks use by blind people

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Fri Jan 18 10:05:16 PST 2013

Michal Suchanek, le Thu 17 Jan 2013 15:26:26 +0100, a écrit :
> On 10 January 2013 15:27, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> wrote:
> > Michal Suchanek, le Thu 10 Jan 2013 15:20:21 +0100, a écrit :
> >> Dummy driver sets the flag because it does not need console and then
> >> the console is not open although evedev which requires console and
> >> does not set the flag is loaded later.
> >
> > Which is what I mentioned in yet another mail during the thread (placing
> > the xf86OpenConsole call). Please just read mails.
>
> I don't know where the mails about that are. Definitely not in my mailbox.

D'oh. Sorry about that, it seems these have not reached the mailing list
indeed. Peter's suggestion
20130107040832.GA25844 at yabbi.bne.redhat.com
did reach the list:

“
so the solution here would be to only call xf86OpenConsole() when a
keyboard device comes up. on the plus side, if the evdev driver is
broken this would allow you to Ctrl+C the server. On the minus side,
there's a window where you can Ctrl+C the server until the device has
been added.
”

what didn't is my answer:
“
Ok ; that still needs to be implemented, and more importantly,
thoroughly tested, as in the past xf86OpenConsole() used to be done much
earlier.
”

Samuel