gitlab migration

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Jun 13 10:12:34 UTC 2018

Hi Felix,
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 at 10:24, Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Daniel Stone composed on 2018-06-13 09:24 (UTC+0100):
> > Felix Miata wrote:
> >> James Cloos composed on 2018-06-12 17:38 (UTC-0400):
>
> >> Strongly agree, especially for returning useful search results!!!
>
> > What kind of searches have you tried which returned better search
> > results on Bugzilla than GitLab?
>
> I gave up trying too long ago to remember. Best of my recollection is all of
> them, generally getting too many to sift through, or zarro. I'm speaking of
> gitlab/github (which is it anyway?) generally, not any specific project's. BZ I
> got used to over 17 years go, when learning new things had not yet become
> problematic.

GitLab and GitHub are two completely different services. They offer
different features in different ways through different user
interfaces, and have both been evolving pretty quickly. Saying
emphatically!!! that GitLab's search results are useless, based on
vague recollections of having used a _different service_ which was so
long ago you can't even remember, isn't really a great contribution to
a discussion.

> Bad as yesteryear's web was, the current one is worse. Firefox ESR 60 download
> is 648% the size of Firefox 1.0. All the benefit of broadband has been eaten up
> by bottlenecks, bloated browsers and gargantuan web pages. Googling 'gitlab
> xorg' or 'github xorg' don't provide anything resembling an actual home page URI
> like https://bugs.freedesktop.org/. https://www.x.org/wiki/Development/ doesn't
> either. Maybe these are a good sign, one to indicate Ajax's migration hasn't
> actually started.

Yes. This thread is to discuss migrating to GitLab at some point in
the future. Since it has not happened yet, there is no entrypoint to
speak of.

I can't solve your problems with web browsers, bottlenecks and people
using JavaScript, but again, both Bugzilla and GitLab are web-based
tools, and GitLab has a complete API with CLI-based tools you can use
instead of a browser.

Cheers,
Daniel