Keyboard generating strange events?? (highlighted in Xgl/Compiz)

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Oct 10 16:29:28 PDT 2006

Hi,

I didn't want to bother the devs here but I have been going insane for
some months now....

I have a USB keyboard and it seems to have some significant issues in
the events it generates. I think it is lower level than X but I don't
really know.

Basically under Xgl + Metacity, things seem to work OK (I think there
remains an underlying problem - just masked by Metacity), but under Xgl
+ compiz or beryl the problem is highlighted.

The problem is basically that when NumLock is on, I can use the number
pad as expected but the navigation keys (left, right, pgup, delete,
backspace etc.) do not work.  Quite frequently this would result in a
PrintSc being issued (I had to disable the short-cut in compiz/beryl for
running gnome-screen-shot as on several occasions I've take 20
screenshots just because I hit the left key a lot!!! This problem also
exists in metacity (i've disabled the screenshot command there too!) but
it happens much less often.

When Numlock is off, all the keys mentioned above, work correctly as
they should, but the numeric keypad obviously does not output numbers.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

FWIW, it seems to happen even outside X as when I am in an emacs editor
after switching to VT1, using the navigation keys with numlock on causes
mutliple beeps from the terminal and an error that flases away too
quickly to read.

In X I am currently using the kbd driver but have also tried keyboard in
the past.

Attached is a xev log from me pressing up down left right with numlock
off, turning numlock on, then doing the same sequence. I repeat this
exercise twice.

>From this log, I see that this output occurs in place of the regular
events when numlock is on:

FocusOut event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x3a00001,
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusIn event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x3a00001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0

Please help as this is driving me totally crazy!!!!

Cheers.

Col.