[Members] Re: Will there be an X at FOSDEM2007?

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Mon Oct 30 02:09:55 PST 2006

Keith Packard writes:
 > On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 02:03 +0100, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
 >
 > > > I can promise funding if X.org is unable to do so at this point.
 > > > Anything to ensure that I get to attend FOSDEM, eat mussels, drink beer
 > > > and shop for chocolate.
 > >
 > > Why do i get the feeling that the order of importance of that list is the
 > > actual inverse of the ordering in that sentence? How many kilos did you
 > > "smuggle" out again last year?
 >
 > Hey, I declared the 10kg on my customs form. I'll be sure to have the
 > extra bag packed inside my suitcase for the trip home again this year.

This begs the question how you got this on the plane?
As you are only traveling without checked luggage and
the limit is 8kg you must have carried some of it on
your body ;-)

 > And, last year the mussel season was nearly over, so the quality was a
 > bit lower than in years past. I'm not sure I managed 10kg of beer though
 > (not for lack of trying though), so I think your overall ordering is
 > probably correct.

We should persuade the FOSEM organizers to schedule the event earlier.
And maybe we should select the place where we have mussles at a little
more careful this year.

 > > This isn't about funding, the devroom itself at FOSDEM is completely
 > > free, we just need to show up in reasonable numbers. If FOSDEM were
 > > officially sanctioned by the board, then sufficient attendance would be
 > > almost certain.
 >
 > I'm not sure we need any board sanction; we just need to get people
 > signed up. And, I'd say that if we can get 7 people signed up in a
 > couple of hours, we'll surely end up with another 5 or 6 before the
 > event starts.

I don't think Luc asked for the Board to sanciton anyting - if he did
we must work harder on diffusing the notion that the Board should be
asked to sanction anything.
The Board needsto approve the funding though - and the new Board should
work on a set of criteria there.
However Luc did everything we can expect of an organizer: he announced
the event early (in fact as early as he learned about the opportunity
to have such an event) and he has proven that the event was useful and
accepted well.

Cheers,
	Egbert.