How do I debug this?

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Thu Jun 7 22:36:38 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 01:03 -0400, Richard Bronosky wrote:

> I have installed the new intel video driver, xserver, and xrandr based
> on http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/randr-2007-02-06-17-50 using
> this in my apt sources:
> deb http://burtonini.com/debian/ feisty/
>
> I'm not sure what exact versions of what I have.  But I cannot see any
> video of any kind.  when I play a theora, or mpeg4, or anything
> else... I hear the audio, but the video is blank.

I'm assuming you're using totem to play your videos, but you didn't even
say this ... or how you're opening the videos.

To isolate where the problem is, open a terminal, and type:

gstreamer-properties

In the 'video' tab, change the 'output' setting to:

X Window System (No Xv)

Now try playing a video. If it plays, there's a problem with your video
drivers. Apparently there are fixes in the latest git sources for the
intel driver. I haven't tried them yet. You can either upgrade to the
latest git drivers, or just forget about acceleration at the moment.
Other movie players have different output options ( opengl, etc ) that
you may be able to use without having to get xv working.

If you still don't get any video, it's possible that you just don't have
a codec installed for the video you're playing. I don't use Ubuntu
myself, put if you go into the synaptic package manager and search for
'codec' or 'theora' or something, you might get some packages you can
install.

If things still don't work ( the last Ubuntu box I set up had problems
with video ), try another movie player ... xine or mplayer.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer
email: dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au