backslash escaping shift key?

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Thu Oct 11 12:16:35 PDT 2007

Dear xorgers,

I recently ran into a curiousity on my Debian unstable (X.org 7.3)
system: if I run through the following key press sequence at
moderate speed (about as fast as you can say one-two-three), the
shift key seems to lose its meaning:

  press \
  release \
  press <shift>
    press d
    release d
  release <shift>

You'd expect the result to be \D, right? That's what I get if I do
it slowly, but if I do it quickly, I get \d.

It seems as if the \, in addition to being printed, *also*
annihilates the meaning of the shift key.

Is this a bug or a feature? If the latter, where can I read more
about it and how can I turn it off?

Btw: xset r rate 255 47 is in effect.

Cheers,

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

"the ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."
                                 -- hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net