[RFC] Device hierarchy for MPX

Wed Sep 19 04:46:35 PDT 2007

Xavier Bestel wrote:
>  Also giving focus to "unowned" keyboards looks
> useless, unless the WM knows about them and let them cycle through
> windows with an alt-tab-like sequence.

We have to assume that the WM always knows about the devices. If the WM
doesn't, then we have other problems anyway.

We are not talking about focus here. The problem is what coordinates to
put into the keyboard events.

There are currently two situations where a keyboard can be floating:
a) it is grabbed by a client. if it was attached to an MD before, we can
take the sprite of the MD.
b) it is configured as floating. In this case we don't have a sprite to
follow and have to pick one.

Use-case for a floating keyboard is for example the keyboard devices
that represent power/sleep buttons, etc.

Cheers,
    Peter