[Clipart] First Meeting

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Thu Apr 29 22:55:37 PDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> It might also be good to ask people when they can make it.  02:00 UTC would
> be very bad for someone in Eastern Europe (4am for them).

This issue has come up in other open source projects I've been in, and
oddly the discussions always arrive at the same two or three times.  I
guess these are the 'best fit' times for dealing with the Earth's
curvature or something.  Anyway, for whatever it's worth, the times that
projects I've been in are:

8pm GMT, which works out to:
   8pm England, 8-12pm European time
   12 noon Pacific
   3pm Eastern

   Unfortunately, it's bad if you have Australian or Japanese members
   since it's the middle of the night for them.  Many projects I've been
   were mostly US and European so this worked out ok, and the stray
   Aussies just checked out the irc logs.

7am GMT, which works out to:
   7am England, 7-11am European time
   11pm Pacific
   2am Eastern
   2-4pm Perth, Tokyo, Sydney

   The downside of this time is that it rules out most USians, although
   if you only have west-coasters and they tend to the night owl
   variety, this can be a workable time.  The projects I've been in have
   usually had a strong EST presence so this was an infrequently used
   time.

2pm GMT, which works out to:
   2-6pm Europe
   6-9am America
   9-11pm Perth, Tokyo, Sydney

   I don't really know why this ends up being such an inconvenient time
   for everyone, since in theory everyone can be awake then, but in
   practice I haven't seen many meetings at this time.  Of course, if
   there were, I'd probably not be attending since I rarely drag myself
   out of bed before 8am.  ;-)