[Clipart] Sorting

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue Feb 8 13:46:46 PST 2005

Screenshot Upload Facility wrote:

> http://openclipart.org/screenshots/screenshot_111.png

As the screenshot shows, I've taken the trouble of doing a little
sorting, based on the 0.10 release.  I left the flags hierarchy
alone, since someone else has already done some reorganizing
there, but I sorted some of the other categories, most notably
placing most of the unsorted images into categories.

I got tired of having to hunt through a bazillion images in
the unsorted category to find certain things.

Actually, the auto thumbnail previewing made Windows Explorer
well-suited to this task, something I never thought I'd hear
myself say.  (It doesn't thumbnail the .svg images, but it does
the .png thumbnails, so if you keep things sorted by name and
always move related files together, it works.)  This is the first
thing I've used a graphical file manager for in half a decade,
but it actually worked pretty well.

Right now I've rezipped it and am in the process of transferring
it to my home system (since I can't scp to freedesktop.org from
here).  We can drop the reorganized flags into this and use it
as the basis for the next release.

There are still some issues with the sorting and categories.
For example, there's quite a bit of overlap between certain
categories, such as office and education.  But I got it down
to about seventy images in unsorted, created a clothing
category (under people), weapons (under tools), a Valentine's
category (under holiday), moved a lot of the Christmas images
into the Christmas category that weren't there, put all the
clocks in a clocks category (under signs_and_symbols IIRC),
and some other general sorting-cleanup.  I think it's an
improvement, if I do say so myself.