[Clipart] incoming logos

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Feb 16 19:46:03 PST 2005

Andy Fitzsimon wrote:
> Just remember guys,  with trademarked logos ( even ones that resemble
> them ) we are practically publishing peoples signatures for
> unauthorised use.  I've been guilty of recreating some trademarks and
> if any are still in OCAL I suggest they be removed..
> That said publisahing a trademark's artwork is fine if you have
> permission from the owner and publish acceptable use guidelines.   if
> the user knows that they can only use the logo after the owner has
> been contacted and been witness to its use,  we are simply allowing
> people to get to these trademarks easier, in the one place.
>
> I didn't think OCAL would go down the path of logos etc ,  but if we
> do  I'd suggest making sure people downloading trademarked works know
> there is an acceptable use policy and a contact method in which they
> can seek permission to use it.

Agree...But if someone wants to put their logo in our library, then they
would be placing it in the PD, which means ANYONE could take it, make
defamatory graphics, reuse it, and deprive that original owner the use of
it in the future. So, we already say this in the checkbox for submission
that trademarked and copyrighted images are not allowed. We now just need
to enforce what we say and remove any offending images (and some of them
are nice).... ;)

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)