Missing metadata - Re: [Clipart] Flags again

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Thu Mar 10 19:47:16 PST 2005

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <uraeus at gnome.org> writes:

>> By _shown_, do you mean that it's not present embedded in the SVG,
>> or do you mean something else?  Also, do you have an example of a
>> specific image that doesn't have its metadata shown?
>
> I mean that when you browse the flag collection on
> www.openclipart.org many of the flags do not have metadata
> listed. Since a big part of my cleanup was about getting metadata
> fixed I am pretty sure they have correct metadata inside.

> http://www.linuxrising.org/screenshots/missingmeta.png

Oh, that.  Yes, I am aware of this issue (though I didn't realize the
flags had this problem).  It stems from the fact that the navigate
script does not look inside the SVG for metadata; it only reads what
is in the .txt file that is generated by svg_validate, so if that is
missing, it won't see them.  Most of the icon sets have this situation
too.  We could run them through svg_validate, but that would seriously
rearrange their directory-hierarchy organization.  A better solution
would be to create a tool that just creates the .txt files without
doing any additional rearranging, and run that over these sections.