[Inkscape-devel] [Clipart] Re: Proposal: Merging Open Clipart Library into Inkscape

Martin Owen doctormo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 02:41:39 PDT 2006

I've taken out the inkscape list, no sense in wasting bytes.

Now the ccHost project I take it is to fulfill the needs of the web based
collaboration side of the open clip art problem, searching, rating and
various other parts.

The interesting things I noticed when dealing with the H2G2 Art Team
(volunteer, heavily edited, BBC controlled group) was that some barriers are
there for a reason, in fact the bars were so high that I believe they only
have 5 or 6 members still doing art works for the edited guide.

I would like to suggest the something: almost every control must be put in
the hands of the artists and viewers. if there is something admins on this
list need to do in order to continue then something is wrong and OCAL won't
scale and won't work for long. and this is where are tools have to be
clever, they have to enable without allowing abuse and so far I think it's
going in the right direction.

The sorting and grouping needs to be put into the hands of the
users/artists, we need to replace the directory layout we have with a
context based search terms, if we want tar downloads based on directories
then we auto generate the directory from the most relevant contexts and
provide the context database and tools (perl probably) with digging around
for the art we're looking for.

Best Regards, Martin Owens