[SCIM] Re: question about scim

David david@plm11.pl
Thu Jan 6 07:35:38 PST 2005

Hi Ming Hai,

>   How exactly do I patch and recompile the Qt library
>in compatible mode?  And where is the patch?  Is it in
>the sourceforge.net link you gave me?  I don't see
>immodule there.

As I said, I did not install it manually. I can only read my ebuild and
tell you how my system does it. Before it compiles scim-qtimm it checks
for the presence of /usr/qt/3/plugins/inputmethods/libqimsw-none.so. If
it is not present, it prompts you to recompile QT with special USE flag
(it is specific to Gentoo). This flag makes the system patch the QT
sources before they get compiled. My personal configuration makes the
system to download the patch from
http://gentoo.prz.rzeszow.pl/distfiles/scim-qtimm-0.7.5.tar.bz2 - it is
the Polish Gentoo mirror. The "official" download link for the patch on
Freedesktop is not working. I think Cougar can tell us where is the best
place do download the patch. After the sources are patched they are
configured with -inputmethod flag for binary compatible mode (which you
have choosed and which is the recommended solution) and recompiled. Only
then scim-qtimm can be compiled.

The scim-qtimm sources are on the page I gave you link to in my previous
mail.

>   Oh and what distro are you using?  I've only tried
>Fedora Core, Kanotix and Mepis.

My first (and only so far) distribution is Gentoo. Sometimes I wish I
knew more about other distros, but never had even slight feeling like
changing the distribution :-) I do not know whether Gentoo is good for
everyone... Having everything as "new" as possible and frequent upgrades
from sources do break things from time to time, and you loose quite a
lot of time for system maintenance, not productive work :-) Especially,
if you come directly from Windows with no previous Linux experience,
like me :-) But, on the other hand, things like downloading, patching
and recompiling QT and all KDE apps in binary incompatible mode can be
done with one command :-) This is addictive :-)

OK, get to work. Good luck,

David