[SCIM] Re: From a newbie: problems in running scim

Rodolfo Medina romeomedina@libero.it
Thu Jan 6 09:10:48 PST 2005

Mike wrote:

>Probably you have used iso-8859-1 to encode the file names.
>Convert all those file names to UTF-8 if you want to switch to an
>UTF-8 locale. You can use convmv for that:
>
>    http://j3e.de/linux/convmv/
>
>    [...]
>
>Try to use something like
>
>    export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>    export LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF-8  # for DIN A4 paper
>
>plus maybe
>
>    export LC_MESSAGES=it_IT.UTF-8
>
>if you want to see Italian messages.

Many thanks to Mike for his help.
However I found out that the problems about accented italian characters
(à , ì, etc) and man pages messing up, and also the output of '$ locale'
depend strictly on what I put in the ~/.i18n file.
So, before trying Mike's suggestions,
I'd need to know (maybe from a Mandrake user) what lines to type
exactly in that file. Up to now I went on with trials.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Rodolfo