[libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-design] Moving to LibreOffice 8?

Csongor Halmai csongor at halmai.hu
Fri Apr 7 11:59:44 UTC 2023

Hi everyone,

After reading all the messages in this topic, and learning how experienced marketing experts are in the team, I have the following humble
thoughts.

1.

I am a techie person who is far from being a marketing expert. Therefore, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

2.

For most of the users, simple version numbers like X.x versus version Y.y don't say anything. Nobody remembers what the difference was
between LO 5.0 and 6.0, but what other FOSS projects use, like Thunderbird 103 or Firefox 111, is also totally meaningless to a normie.

A version number like MSOffice'97 or JetBrains IntelliJ 2023 tells much more. People may know such a program has features we used 26 years
ago or just recently. Therefore, I think a year based version number would make more sense.

I feel LibreOffice 2023 sounds much more modern than LO 8.0. It has no sneaky marketing-bias, it is a factual and meaningful information.

Again, this is just what _I_ think. If the decision will be different, I will be totally OK with it, I leave the decision to experts but
wanted to add my two cents.

With regards,

Csongor