[pulseaudio-discuss] Need help to enable echo cancel in pulseaudio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jul 24 06:43:06 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and ABDUL MOIZ at 22/07/11 10:02 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>        Thanks for the reply.
>
>        As adviced by you,I have followed the procedure given in the link
>

> http://colin.guthr.ie/2010/09/compiling-and-running-pulseaudio-from-git/
>
>       I got the code from the git source as told in the guide and
> everything was going well but i got error at this step
>
>         $ src/pulseaudio -n -F src/default.pa <http://default.pa> -p
> $(pwd)/src/.libs/ -vvvv
>
>  You can check the attached log file to see the error.

Interesting. Perhaps this indicates some kind of corruption in the
database files used for restoring volume and devices... can you save the
files in ~/.pulse/ somewhere (we may want to analyse them later to
prevent this happening again) and then just trash that whole folder so
you can start up "clean"?

>  Then I have again restarted the build process by giving the path to be
> /usr while configuring  i.e
>
>        $ ./configure --prefix=/usr
>
>  And the build was successful, and I can able to run the pulseaudio daemon.

Strange... this shouldn't matter much.

> In the CLI terminal, i have changed the default source and sink to echo
> cancel as shown below:
>
> <<set-default-source alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.echo-cancel
> <<set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.echo-cancel
>
> Now when i test using gst pipeline, i can observe that echo & noise has
> been reduced.
> To confirm whether echo cancel is working or not , i tried to see
> verbose log as shown below:
>
> $ pulseaudio -v
>
> But I am getting the following:
>
> I: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
> I: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
> I: core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.
> I: main.c: This is PulseAudio 0.98-dev-438-g6add-dirty
> I: main.c: Page size is 4096 bytes
> I: main.c: Machine ID is fstl-laptop.
> I: main.c: Session ID is
> 2012bf02773ecb9a7c891fbb4e25bc80-1311316492.289922-1263349109.
> I: main.c: Using runtime directory /home/fstl/.pulse/fstl-laptop-runtime.
> I: main.c: Using state directory /home/fstl/.pulse.
> I: main.c: Using modules directory /usr/lib/pulse-0.98/modules.
> I: main.c: Running in system mode: no
> E: pid.c: Daemon already running.
> E: main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.

This is expected. You can only run one instance of PA at a time.

> when i kill the pulseaudio daemon, then also the samething coming.
> And also I have tried the below commands:
>
> $ pulseaudio --kill
> $ killall pulseaudio
> $ killall -9 pulseaudio
> $ rm -rf ~/.pulse*
> $ sudo rm -rf /tmp/pulse*
>
> But still "pulseaudio -v" is not working.
> and "pulseaudio --kill" also being executed, but pulseaudio daemon is
> still running.

This is fully expected. PA supports an autospawn feature and it's highly
likely that something running on your desktop is requesting PA to be
run. e.g. gnome-volume-control-applet, or pretty much any gtk application.

> So the problem is pulseaudio instance is not getting killed properly.
> Can you please help me to get clean start and kill of pulseaudio daemon
> and as well as to get the log messages of running pulseaudio daemon.

When developing on PA, I very much recommend setting autospawn=no in
/etc/pulse/client.conf or ~/.pulse/client.conf to ensure that the system
version of PA does not automatically respawn itself.

I think you're generally getting a bit muddled up between your system's
PA install and the one you are running yourself. It's a little tricky to
make things behave themselves, but the guide I linked to previously
mentions this, so it's probably worthwhile reading the whole article
again to make sure nothing has been missed.

Hope that helps.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]